Sunday, June 17, 2012

Who needs it?

You might think that I've fallen off the wagon because I haven't posted for awhile, but I'm happy to tell you that that is not the case.  I'm still holding strong.  Even though this week I have faced the following.

Tuesday:  Homemade Apple Pie ala mode.  Our Bishop came over on Tuesday and my husband told him that I would make an apple pie.  I really, really didn't want to, but I did.  And I know when my husband asks me to make an Apple Pie he'll ask if there is vanilla ice cream to go with it.  I hadn't made any pie since I left Albania.  My mom had given me some pie plates, but I didn't remember, until I was in the middle of making the pie crust, that I didn't have a pastry cutter or a rolling pin.  I made due without the pastry cutter, but I had to get a rolling pin, which made the whole process much more irritating. 


Later I made some "poptarts".  I only had enough leftover dough to make three.  I ate two and Sweets had the other one.  It was made with nonsugaric jam.  Not so pretty, but I was happy to be able to eat a little pastry.  BTW, I had to stare at the leftover apple pie for 3 days and I still didn't succumb.



Wednesday:  I went to a Relief Society Activity (the women's organization of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).  It was a pool party, but it was too cold to swim.  I had been looking forward to it for 2 weeks, but Bumbles had a fever on Wednesday.  I did go to my activity for an hour.  There was a counter with desserts, but I just didn't really look at them.  I did notice there was a lot of whipped cream involved, but I just kept walking.

Thursday:  Bumbles was miserable and at one point the only thing I could find to make him stop crying was some of this.



Usually when something like this is sitting in my cupboard I have a few handfuls a day.  I haven't touched this bag.  If I really need something sweet I just have a little box of this.



Saturday: donuts. As I mentioned we'll have 4 new grandkids this year.  One was born last week to my youngest sister.  There is another one on the way in early July.  I went to that sister's baby shower on Saturday and there were donuts.  I resisted them.  I ate fruit and corn muffins and deviled eggs instead.  They were so yummy who needs donuts. 

When I got home my kids had their junk - Snickers ice cream.  Even when you don't want to eat things if you are serving them to other people you tend to lick your fingers or the spoon or something.  I've almost done that so many times without thinking.  So far I have caught myself and resisted.

Last night I went for a late run to the grocery store and to get gas.  I bought my husband his father's days present.

One of his favorites.  I knew I had had a lot of temptation and a rough week so I thought I'd better get a treat for myself to help me maintain my nonsugaric status.  Now if I had been in Albania there would be no hope for me, but here I have a secret weapon.


These are so wonderful.  They have a million flavors.  All the bars only have 5 or so ingredients and there is never anything like sugar in them.  They usually have dates and some kind of nut.  This one had coco powder in it and almonds, but no sugar.  And I mean no sugar of any kind.  Not even fake sugar.  You've got to try them!!!!!!

So when I got home my husband had a bowl of ice cream and I ate my Larabar.  We were both happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment