Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Bad Choices

Yesterday, B.D. called from soccer to say he hurt his arm.  I asked a few questions, but figured I'd check it out when he got home.  When I "examined" it I thought for sure it was broken.  He couldn't bend his wrist or twist his forearm.  However, there have been other times when I have been sure things were broken and my dad tried to convince me otherwise.  Every time my dad has been right and I was wrong.  It only makes sense.  The man has been in the Emergency Room for 35 years.  He has seen a few things.  My dad said he had never seen an arm broken by a soccer ball.  I also spoke to Dr. Guy, my local American family doctor.  He also said it probably wasn't broken.

I had put B.D. in an ace bandage.  He was surprised at how well I wrapped it.  I was kind of surprised too until I remember those years long ago when that was my job in the ER.  How could I have forgotten?

I told myself that this time I was going to listen to my dad and not go get an x-ray.  In the morning B.D. was complaining of the pain.  We went to the American Favorites food store.  The kids got oreos and tootsie rolls.  B.D. couldn't help me carry anything which made things quite difficult.  On the way home he said his thumb was cold.  I couldn't take it anymore.  I was just sure that this was one time in a million that a soccer ball had broken an arm.

We got home and put Bumbles to bed.  I tried calling the doctors here, but they said they wanted to look at it.  I just didn't want to go all the way to the clinic just for them to tell me to get an x-ray on the other side of town.  I decided we'd go for an x-ray when Bumbles woke up.  We did.  The doctor was not there so they didn't give us the films.  I told Andi I could read the x-ray.  He laughed.  I was serious.  Andi didn't believe me, but I convinced him that after reading x-rays regularly in the ER I was pretty good at it, unless it was a chest x-ray.

They brought me the films.  I felt silly "pretending" that I could read them in front of the x-ray tech.  I read it anyway because I couldn't stand not knowing.  It didn't look broke to me.  I just couldn't believe it.  When will I ever learn.  There is a slight chance that I missed something, but I'm pretty sure it is just sprained and bruised.

I quickly changed the subject and talked the kids into doing more summer clothes shopping.  We made some pretty good finds.  Then the kids got to play at the mall playground for a few hours.  There was no point in going home because our cleaning lady was there and Andi goes to church on Tuesday evenings.  Every Tuesday we go to some indoor playground and hang out until it's time for bed.  It helps us not miss our dad.

The ice cream helped too.

B.D. seems to be enjoying his ice cream.
This was their first ice cream cone since winter began.
Bumbles even had some.
I have to confess that I did have to lick a little ice cream because Super Jack had drips and he's a little obsessed about sticky/drippy things.  Sometimes as a mother sugar just can't be avoided.  While I'm confessing I have to confess that I did eat 1 1/2 oreos too.  You see Super Jack bit his and dropped them on the counter and he didn't want them.  I just couldn't let them go to waste.  I have a real problem with letting food go to waste.  However, yesterday when Sweets and B.D. left apple pie and ice cream in their bowl I didn't eat it.  Andi did eat it later, but I had to stare at it a few times before he got around to it.  Sometimes I'm weak.

When we got home Noni was here.  It was nice to have her help while Andi was away.  She is going to start coming every Tuesday to help with the kids.  My life is way too good.

No comments:

Post a Comment