Thursday, April 14, 2011

Berry Funny

I have wanted to make smoothies for breakfast for a long, long time.  I did make them a few times years ago, but my husband wasn't really a fan.  However, I decided that even if HE wasn't a fan, I was and I was going to make them.  The only trouble was I didn't have a blender or frozen fruit.  I did finally find frozen fruit at my usual grocery store.  I bought it, determined that a blender would come.  A few weeks later my MIL bought me a blender/food processor!!!!

We've made smoothies SEVERAL times.  No one liked them, but me.  Andi said they weren't sweet enough.  I made them again with two bananas and less yogurt.  Andi liked it.  We also added Whey protein powder.  B.D. loved it too.  Especially, when I told him it would help his muscles grow.  Once B.D. started drinking it the other kids decided it wasn't that bad, especially with a straw.





I was feeling rather grumpy yesterday.  Bumbles didn't sleep well and I was feeling depressed about sending my kids to school.  My husband called me at the height of my grumpiness.  I was telling him my woes.  He said, "Don't worry, Babe.  We're going to fix all of this.  I promise in the next 20 years all of this will be fixed."  I laughed.  He can always make me laugh even when I really don't want to.  It's true.  I'm sure 20 years can fix just about anything.  It is good that we are never grumpy at the same time.

In the book

Master Your Metabolism: The 3 Diet Secrets to Naturally Balancing Your Hormones for a Hot and Healthy Body!

she gave really good reasons for buying organic food.   There is a small organic movement here.  I once ate some organic Albanian cheese at a friends house and I'm dying to find some for myself.  However, yesterday I needed some ginger root.  I went looking.  There wasn't any, but I talked to the seller about his strawberries and where they came from.  He told me the nice bright looking ones were from Greece and the duller ones were from Albania.  I'm sure they weren't organic.  I've read that Albanian farmers use really bad pesticides that aren't used in America.  However, I decided that it was important to buy Albanian grown produce although it didn't look as nice.  The man promised to have ginger for me tomorrow.  I don't know if I'll have the will to go out again today, but I'll try.


Albanian Strawberries

I also got some village eggs, which I'm sure are free range.
Sorry  I didn't post last night, but we didn't have power or water for 14 hours.  When it finally came on this morning I did my dishes moved the laundry and now I'm blogging.  You see my priorities?  I haven't even taken a shower.  That will just have to wait.  My kids are begging me to finish so they don't have to watch Bumbles.  Got to go.

I started reading this.

Follow the River

Thank heavens my e-reader was charged or I would have lost my mind last night.  Andi read his church handbook with one of the kids headlamps.  It was good fun.

3 comments:

  1. All wonderful stuff. Have you read Follow the River before?

    Don't be depressed about the school thing! I know you had lofty, admirable goals. But it'll help the kids to become more "Albania"! How could they do that at home w/ an American mom? : ) And it doesn't mean you won't still be teaching them things . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your wonderful words of support. I know, I was thinking, "If they were going to a German school you would think that was AWESOME! I just worry it will be stressful for them and the school system will be too rigorous. Everyone tries to tell you how academic their schools are. Little do they know I'm not looking for that.

    Since I've been homeschooling I haven't had the energy to do anything fun or crafty. I'm hoping they can do all the hard stuff at school (and some fun stuff) and I can be in charge of being fun.

    I have never read "Follow the River", but I ready "From Sea to Shining Sea" on Mom's recommendation and enjoyed it. I haven't been able to put "Follow the River" down. It is so stressful! I'm holding Super Jack and Bumbles a little tighter and kisses them more. I am so blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela, I love your blog! I hope you are doing well. Thank you for your friendship.
    Jan Marie

    ReplyDelete