Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Warm and Fuzzy

For the last 2 years I've been struggling to homeschool my kids.  I love the idea of it, but practically it just isn't working out.  It breaks my heart that there is no Waldorf School here in Albania.  I've been using the Christopherus Homeschool Curriculum which is amazing.  Every time I read it I get all excited and feel so happy about how wonderful it is . . . . . but implementing it is where I just don't cut the mustard.

Not to mention my kids are DYING for friends.  We do have a few neighbors that they play with some times.  We also participate in scouting at the International School. On Fridays we also go to ballet with some of the kids from GDQ (the missionary school) and the Protagonist (the Greek Orthodox school).  However, this once a week schedule is not enough time for the other kids to really embrace my kids. 

We have decided to put our kids in school next year.  After much thoughtful consideration we have decided to send them to the Protagonist.  There are many children there that have one parent who is Albanian and one who is foreign.  We already know many of them.  The lessons are given in Albania.  However, all the kids take English lessons.   We went to the school today.


This building is in the park by the lake.  It isn't far from my house.  This is where the first through third graders go.  B.D. will be going to a building over by Andi's office.  The kids are really excited to go to a "real" school.  While we were there today Sweets saw several of her friends.  As soon as we walked in the gate a boy came up to B.D. and gave him a big hug.  Apparently, he plays soccer with B.D.

You can also see the boy on the left hanging on the gate.  He heard us speaking English and responded in very "American" English.  I asked him why he spoke English so well.  He said he was American.  I asked what he was doing here.  He said that his parents just decided to move to Albania.  Turns out his parents are missionaries.  I told him I was American too and he seemed really excited about it.

Every time we go there we always have a great experience and we feel all warm and fuzzy.  Andi says it is the Spirit telling us we are making the right decision.  Friday B.D. and Sweets will begin Albanian lessons three times a week.  We are all excited. 

3 comments:

  1. Yay for you! Your kids will be well rounded and ready for anything when they grow up. I admire people who homeschool, but I think I would have the dumbest kids on the planet. We'd lay around watching movies and eating popcorn all day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brave decision! It sounds like it is the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful decision, and a wonderful place. I am so happy for your kids. As much as I love all of my babies, I couldn't do the homeschooling thing, I think there is so much that they would miss out on (both good and bad of course). You are an amazing mother and I'm sure you will all be very happy.

    ReplyDelete