Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Pop Tarts

Sweets saw a picture of herself eating pop tarts when we lived in the States.  She really wanted some.  She almost cried about it.  It isn't like we ate pop tarts all the time.  We had them about once a year.  Then we went to the American Favorites store and the storekeeper mentioned that she had ordered pop tarts, but they hadn't come.

I had some left over pastry in the fridge from when I made apple pie this weekend and I thought that maybe I could make homemade pop tarts.  I decided to google it and found a recipe from this cookbook.

Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe


I decided to make it with my left over dough.  They turned out okay.


I put the glaze on too soon because the kids were dying to eat them.  We even had some sprinkles.  The pastry wasn't all that good because the kids had played with it too much.  My pastry recipe was different from the one she used.  I do want to try again with her pastry recipe.  Her pastry had eggs in it.  I made one for myself with nonsugaric jam and with no glaze.  I thought it was quite a treat.

I have been debating a lot about my decision to not eat sugar.  I still think it is a good thing to eat no sugar, but I've read so many books about overeating and weight loss lately and they all say that if you deprive yourself too much it just comes back to bite you.  I keep thinking maybe I should just eat a very little sugar.  Opinions?

6 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued about the recipe. Can you post it?

    Can you do just a little sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  2. A mom in Philip's preschool made those poptarts, or something very similar, and they were very good. As for eating or not eating sugar,completely avoiding sugar seems like torture, but we definitely need less sugar in our lives. I'm pretty sure it will be a lifelong stuggle to find the balance for all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would agree the the extremes tend to not be the best idea, whether that's all sugar, or no sugar, it's still extreme. You will not go a life time without eating sugar, so you need to learn to control it. You don't want to eat no sugar for a year, and then feast on it because you've been so deprived. Just limit your intake, maybe 1 day a week you have a treat or something. I know a lot of people that are successful with the free day. I have also read a book that says that if you crave something you should just eat it. It is better for you 3 bites of that apple pie and get it out of your system than to eat 10 other things trying to satiate that craving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to agree with the others. I have that problem I just go with out and then all I do after I go off a diet is binge. Then I gain all the weight back. My best combo has been the South Beach diet and the 4 hour body. I just combined them to fit me. I also try to eat only desserts I make and only on Sunday. I think we all just have to find what fits us. I really think that your goal is so wonderful and I think that it will be great if you stick to it. I think that is what we all mostly lack anyways is the power to control ourselves :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the sugar thing is an addiction for americans. Generations before us couldn't even expect to have any. We must learn to live not with less, but with none. There are many naturally sweet things to eat. There are other sweetners that occur in nature ie; honey, agave nectar, stevia, fruit juices etc. Refined cane sugar came to us via the slave trade, that makes me detest it. It is not required in any amount in a normal healthy diet. Is anyone having such difficulties with salt, sour or bitter? When you add the white flour to it, just look at it and ask yourself, why am I eating this. Foreigners always think americans have everything too sweet. We are out of control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmmm, interesting discussion. I just recently saw a recipe online for Pop Tarts and thought it would be fun to try them.

    I find that if you limit the amount of sugar you eat, you will be successful. Anything you do here is good, right? I do hate feeling deprived. I've kept this weight off for about 8 months now - woooo hoooo. Here is a great tip I've found. If you want to have sugar have 1-3 bites - no more. It's probably all you really want anyway. Then, destroy the rest so it won't tempt you. Feed it to someone else, grind it into the ground, throw it into the trash - anything that will keep you from having more. It has worked for me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete