Monday, April 18, 2011

Dasma

We were invited to my husband's first cousin once removed wedding.  Dasma is the Albanian word for wedding.  I have been told that children never go to Dasmas and this one began at 9:00 p.m.  Therefore, I had no intention of going.  However, several of Andi's cousins were insisting that we come.  Mostly, they wanted me to come and hang out with them.  I was so pleased that they wanted to include me in the family as much as I wanted to be included. However, I can't leave Bumbles for very long - especially not at night.  Once the cousins understood this they said we should just bring the kids.  Still it was a difficult decision because it was past the kids' bedtime. 

We decided we would try it this once and see how it went.  It isn't everyday we have a Dasma.  We put Super Jack and Bumbles in their jammies.  B.D. and Sweets were dressed up.


I did Sweet's hair in fish braids
The kids were so excited, but by the time it was time to leave for the wedding they were exhausted.  Super Jack and Bumbles slept on the way there.  Once we got there Andi carried Super Jack and I carried Bumbles toward the door.  The music seemed loud from outside.  But . . . . . when they opened the door the music was BLARRING.  It was so loud I couldn't stand it.  I couldn't imagine walking into that noise with my small children.  It would pop their eardrums and my own.  I walked in for a second and lots of people came up to greet me.  However, I quickly ducked back out to save Bumble's ears.  I was hoping people would just come outside and greet me, but they didn't. 

The person that was getting married was Narissa, who is the daughter of Andi's cousin Diane, who died young.  Diane's brother is named Veton and he was at the wedding.  Veton and his wife Kjara came outside and begged me to go back in just for 5 minutes.  I put the blanket over Bumble's ears and covered his ears with my shoulder and my hand.  Super Jack was inside already with Andi with a thick hood over his ears.

I never took my hands off Bumble's ears, but I did sit for a few minutes and I finally met the one cousin of Andi's I hadn't met yet.  I met a few other first cousins once removed.  If you know me you know that meeting first cousins once removed or FCORS as my family likes to call them is a HUGE thrill.  I'm a family history NUT and nothing makes me happier that getting family relationships all straighten out in my head and on the computer. (okay maybe a few things make me happier than that).

Andi was watching me and he kept mouthing, "Should we go?"  I kept mouthing, "Yes".  So we finally left.  I was so sad that they had the music so loud because I really wanted my kids to be there and learn some Albanian traditions.  Sweets did actually do a little dancing.  I guess we'll just have to pray for another Albanian wedding earlier in the day with quieter music.

After Andi got us home safe and sound he went back.  He took a few videos and pictures.


Andi's cousin Altin with his sister-in-law Genta

Andi's cousin Kreshnik

Andi's cousin Veton and his wife Kjara

Andi's FCOR Arber and Andi

Here you can see the back of the bride.  It was hard to
get a picture of her because she had to dance for hours.

In the back on the left you can see the bride's brother
Klidi (also Andi's FCOR)


P.S. After we left they turned the music down - a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment