Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Requirements to be a Good Parent

As I mentioned, I read

The Five Love Languages of Children

and I really loved it.  I even convinced my sister to read it. (Brownie points for me).

There are a few things you have to "do" in the book.  I have to say that I really don't like it when authors give me assignments  I don't like to stop reading to do my assignments.  I always think that I'll do it after I read the book all the way through, but then I forget.  However, this time I'm going to do my assignment.  The assignment was to write a requirement list.  I am supposed to start with a few items and add too it if I want to.

Here is the author's sample list.

1. Keep my child's emotional love tank full - speak the five love languages.

2. Use the most positive ways I can to control my child's behavior: requests, gentle physical manipulation, commands, punishment, and behavior modification.

3. Lovingly discipline my child. Ask, "What does this child need?" and then go about it logically.

4. Do my best to handle my own anger appropriately and not dump it on my child. Be pleasant but firm.

5. Do my best to train my child to handle anger maturely - the goal is sixteen and one-half years.

I really like his list and I just want to use his list, but I know I should make my own.  Here goes.

Requirements to be a Good Parent to B.D., Sweets, Super Jack, and Bumbles

1. Do as love requires even when I don't want to.  Get excited about all the things they show me and are excited about. Smile at them.  Touch and snuggle them every day. Say kind things to them.

2. Pray Two to Three times a day.  Read my scriptures daily.  I can't be a good parent without the Lord's help.

3. Be present. Be pleasant

4. Remember that children like routine and try to stick to it.  Remember if the routine gets disturbed that we might have cranky kids on our hands and adjust accordingly.

5. Be silly and full of good humor.

6. Seize the teaching moments to help my children grow to be faithful and well adjusted.

7. Let my kids get angry.  Keep my own anger in check.

8. Teach them to forgive. (that one is for you mom)

9. Teach them all the principles that are important to me by example.

I think that is it for now.  What do you think?  This is just the first draft.  You can't just make a list like this on the fly.  I have been thinking about it for a few years though.  There is still time to adjust it so please comment.

3 comments:

  1. I just finished reading the 5 Love Languages for my book group next week. Now I can't wait to pick up the one about children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially love #5. Change everything that mentions anger to something that is about silliness. Anger is after all pretty silly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about the anger. However, ross campbell, one of the authors thinks that kids problems are all about anger so we have to let them get their anger out in healthy ways. And teach them to handle their anger. I just Love Ross Campbell. Mom, you've got to read some of his stuff. It is AWESOME! He is my hero.

    ReplyDelete