Friday, March 25, 2011

Rules of the Road

I wanted to take you with me on my ride home from ballet.
This is a two way street. The red car on the right is parked.
There is only supposed to be parking on one side of the
street.  However, you can see the white van on the left.
It is also parked.  If you look really closely you can see that there
are two cars behind the white van.  They are trying
to get down the road.  But they have to wait until
the blue van and the white and gray cars pass. 
This is something that happens ALL the time.
We turn right onto a one way street. It looks almost wide
enough for comfort.

Unless someone parks half in the road, half on the sidewalk.
Very common.
Now we turn left onto a main road called
Rruga Kavajes.
You can see there are two lanes for traffic
and one lane for parking.
However, the gray car on the right is parked.
Here you can see many more cars in the right lane.
They are all parked.
This is a little further down the road. This is a very busy
two way road.  You can see the cars parked on the left.
You can also see the tail lights of a car driving the on the wrong
side of the road.  He just didn't feel like waiting in traffic so he
drove over into oncoming traffic.  Happens all the time.
We all had to drive around the car on the right
because he just couldn't stand to take a few
minutes and park his car in that wide open spot.
However, the rule here is, if you put on your
hazard lights you can do anything you want.
Then we all had to wait for the man selling the
cellphone chargers and the air fresheners.
Notice all the cars on the left driving in the wrong lane.
This is again a two way street.  But there are two
lanes of cars parked on the left so we have to adjust.
Now we round Wilson Circle.  I know it isn't a
good picture, but does anyone know what kind of bush
that is?  Sweets really likes it.
Again this taxi is parked as are a few more cars.
So the silver car has to squeeze between the
parked cars and the big truck.
This is a two way street.  This is my street.
Rruga Sami Frasheri.
Do you like the spacious sidewalks? You always have
to watch out for people walking in the street.
The road narrows.  You see how close I am to that car in
the other lane? Totally normal here.
The road widens for a minute only to narrow again
because someones' nephew had to build his
cafe in the road.
Here is one small stretch of decent road.  That is the
dam on the left.  I live on the other side of this
reservoir.
Home free.  But do watch out for that man
that prefers to walk in the road over the sidewalk.
I hope you enjoyed our ride.  I sure did.  Actually, this ride wasn't as bad as it could be.  These are the things we see every day.  Some people think it is crazy and they are scared to drive, not me.  I love it.  It is like playing a video game.  You should come over here and try it.  I do worry about the people though.  Sometimes they just jump right out in front of you.  You have to pay close attention every minute.
So, um, don't try to take pictures like I did.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I really am impressed. I don't think I could handle that. This was a fun post. I really enjoyed all of the pictures of your ride home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You crack me up!! You need a dashboard camera =D That was a great ride!!

    I believe the bush in question is a lilac. Does it have clusters of small four-petaled flowers and smell heavenly? And of course Ada likes it - it's one of my favorite - us lovers-of-all-things-mini have to stick together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm homesick for Albania now! Seemed like a really smooth ride.

    ReplyDelete