Thursday, March 24, 2011

The Worst Mother

Today was not the best of days.  It started with Super Jack pulling down my curtain in the front room that I just finally made.  Andi was more upset than I was because he is the one that has to try to get it back in the wall.  He handled it pretty well though.  I guess now Super Jack knows why I kept saying, "Don't pull on the curtains."

Let's just skip ahead to the bad stuff, shall we?  We went to the botanical garden as usual.  There were a lot more people there.  I was doing a pretty good job keeping track of my kids and Bumbles was asleep in the buggy.  He woke up and wanted to nurse.  I was getting him all set up and when I looked up for Super Jack he was gone.  I went straight to the pond, which wasn't far, and looked for him.  (Always check the water first).  I was pretty sure he had gone over to where B.D. was, but I didn't want to waste time looking that way when he could have been in the pond.  When I was pretty sure he wasn't in the pond I yelled for B.D. asking if he knew where Super Jack was.  He did!!!!  I was so relieved.  I had made a big scene. 

What I don't get is why don't other moms freak out like that when their 3 year old is missing?  What is wrong with me?  There was another little boy that was with Super Jack and his mom wasn't worried about where he was.  Even when I went back to say Super Jack was fine, she didn't ask about her son.  I don't get it.

Okay, so if that wasn't bad enough, it gets worse.  I can barely type this.  It is just too HORRIBLE!  We had planned to go to a playground with one of the families at the botanical garden after the botanical garden.  The mother told me that things had changed and they weren't going now.  I suggested she come to my house.  While we were planning this my neighbor showed up and asked for a ride.  I apologized and let her know that I already had a full car.  She asked if I could just take her 4 year old.  I agreed.  We had 10 people in the car.

When we got home, we unloaded, locked the car and went in the house.  We were trying to get settled in.  I got some people some water.  My neighbor came over to pick up her daughter.  Then I kept saying, "Where is Super Jack?".  He wasn't outside.  He wasn't in the bathroom.  He wasn't in his room.  I kept asking, "Where is Super Jack?". Finally, a little girl said, "There was still a little boy in the car." 

I ran outside in my socks and there he was, locked in the hot car in his carseat.  I ran back in the house got my key and ran outside to set him free.  He had been screaming and crying, of course.  I am soooo UPSET with myself.  How could I have done that?  Poor Super Jack.  I hugged him and kissed him for the rest of the day.  He must have been out there for 20 minutes. 

I always wondered how people could forget their kids in the car.  Now I know.  Shame on me.

He did recover.
I thought the shirt was appropriate.

Sweets was giving him extra love too.
 We rounded off the day with some "Melissa" whole wheat spaghetti.
I hope you had a better day than me.

4 comments:

  1. That's scary for you but just think of the story he'll have to tell one day in his future :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. I ALWAYS freak when I can't find one of my kids. I make a big scene too. I think parents who don't worry are nuts. Like my husband. :-) I'm sorry you forgot him in the car. That's one of my biggest fears, and one reason I am so grateful I have a garage under my house. There's no way they'll over heat or freeze in there. It stays a constant 50-60 degrees.

    Here's hoping to a better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you must have left him at the Botanical Garden, so I was relieved he was only outside. It's more a wonder that we don't screw up more often.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder why other parents don't worry too. We'll go the the pool in the summer and toddlers are just walking around with no adult in sight. That's nuts!

    ReplyDelete