Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cast Your Pearls

Well, I didn't get up and workout this morning.  I overslept.  I stayed up too late last night worrying about a friends baby that went to the Emergency Room.  There was cause to worry because it turns out she had a skull fracture from falling out of a high chair.  The poor baby!  She will recover, but that is no fun for anyone.

I had this whole master plan of how I was going to make eggs for breakfast this morning so I could have a nonsugaric breakfast and then I would have enough grams of sugar to eat a mafishe.  Mafishe is a yummy treat we got all the time in Albania.  I think they are the same as meringues here.  I've been trying to perfect making them.  I like them because they are very low calorie.  They are just egg whites and sugar.  However, I have to plan very far in advance to make them because they have to be in the oven for four hours.  Well, even though I planned well for the sugar grams I didn't plan well for my oven space.  So once again the Mafisha didn't get made.  I'm still trying to calculate how many grams of sugar they have, but I think it will be about 18 grams.  You see, I love them so much that I'd use up all my whole day's worth of sugar on them.

Tip #3: Plan ahead for what is most important to you. I did make a lovely breakfast though.
Bumbles even helped me.  He rolled out the biscuit dough and helped cut the biscuits with my biscuit cutters from Pampered Chef!  I'm so very happy to have them.

I was also very happy to have the self-rising flour my husband accidentally purchased when I sent him for some all purpose flour.  I knew it would come in handy.  Those biscuits were delicious! We called them Bumble Biscuits since Bumble's "made" them. He was so proud.

I have to say I felt like Milly from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers".  It was really making laugh because I had just read St. Matthew 7:6 the night before.  It's the one about the pigs.  See the title of this post for a hint.

Tip #4: Stay busy with projects. Here is mine.  I made this two Januarys ago.  This project has been in the development phase for many years.  Here's what I'm doing.  I read a book called Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes  -by Gordon B. Hinckley.  I loved it and it really inspired me.  I decided to assign a virtue to each month.  I then made a banner with a symbol that would remind us of that virtue and the name of the month in Albanian.  The fabric of the banner also adds to the feeling of the virtue.  My dear and talented mother picked out all the fabric for me.  This, of course, spurred me into action.  I also decided I would bead each banner in honor of my grandmother who had a special talent for this.  I have successfully made all the banners and I have beaded January and February.  I almost finished March, but I lost one of the beads and haven't been able to replace it.  Perhaps I will finish the beading this year.  In addition to displaying the banner I am supposed to have a teaching moment about the virtue several times during the month.  Maybe I'll get better at that this year too.


January is Optimism

Sweets took this picture today.  It sure made me smile and helped me to feel optimistic. 
She is so clever.

No comments:

Post a Comment