Thursday, January 30, 2014

The Last Apple

My interest in being nonsugaric started many years ago.  I have polycystic ovarian syndrome. This is a pre-diabetes condition.  I happened to notice that the diabetics that I knew were trying to eat as they always had just by substituting artificial sweeteners.  I just thought that was the wrong way to look at it.  That is one of the reasons I didn't use the words sugar-free.  Sugar-free indicates artificial sugar.

Now I see recipes for gluten-free desserts.  If for whatever reason we've determined we can't eat a lot of sugar or wheat let's just eat a lot less of those things.  I think there are many foods and flavors we could be eating that would fulfill us more than fake sugar and wheat substitutes.

Not to mention the example we will set for our children.  I haven't told my children they can only eat x number of grams of sugar a day, but because I'm not eating much of it, either are they.  This has happened a few times in our lives.  Whenever, I reduce my sugar consumption and increase my produce consumption my kids do too.  It isn't always a good thing.  I feel greedy when my kids ask if they can have another banana or apple and I want to say no.  I want to make sure there is enough for me.  It's as if they want to finish off the ice cream.  Last night, Super Jack and Bumbles had a knock down, drag out fight over the last apple. It was horrible, but hilarious.

I got more apples today.



No comments:

Post a Comment