Monday, February 21, 2011

A Glimpse

A glimpse of love
They are listening to a book on NOOKcolor eBook Tablet.

A glimpse of a grown man
A glimpse of my kitchen curtains and my
sewing machine.
A glimpse of how my room usually looks.
Also you can see my new curtains and my new rug
The crib is suffering from a mold infestation :-(
I'm almost done with my green linen curtains.  Then I just have to wait for a package from my mom with some kind of magical fabric in it to finish the look.  Also, I can't work on my secret project until she sends me an embroidery foot for my machine.  Now we are all excited for my mom's package.

I promised I'd tell you about this book.

The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love

I LOVED IT!  It is a memoir.  My husband and I are huge fans of true stories.  This woman left her life in Manhattan to marry a farmer.  They lived together for almost a year before they got married which made me almost not read the book.  I loved reading about how this woman just did all these things she had never done before like milk a cow, raise bees, feed pigs, slaughter animals, and cook black pudding.  She was so adventurous and brave.  She was very nervous about getting married, but she did and I love what she decided about it (you'll have to read it to find out).  I also LOVE "farmer love".  I tried to talk my husband into it, but he wouldn't go for it.  It also made me realize that being a mother of four is almost as much work as farming. 

I know I haven't said much about food lately (sick kids, my mom's visit and huge curtain project are to blame).  I went to a Cub Scout pack meeting on Saturday.  They served cake.  I was handed a piece about 3 times.  I turned it down.  Everyone was asking me if I was on a diet.  I explained that I've sworn off sugar.  They didn't seem too impressed.  However, there was one lady who gave me a lecture about how it is really hard not to eat sugar.  She claimed she had tried it and it was really hard.  What makes people think that they are the expert on something?  I've been doing this for almost 2 months - don't you think I'd know how hard it is by then?

It isn't super hard not to eat sugar when it is around.  The harder part is that I'm still trying to find a way to replace it with food.  I wish I could just not need food to fix whatever makes me want to pig out.

I also haven't been doing my diet, but when my curtains are done and the kids are all well - back on the wagon.

1 comment:

  1. Everyone eats, therefore we are all experts. I heard that from a registered dietitian. So if she can accept that, I guess the rest of us will have to put up with it.

    ReplyDelete