Sunday, February 20, 2011

Handmade

I was present when my mother offered to make something on her sewing machine and was turned down because the other person only wanted things that were "handmade".  The other person (who shall remain nameless) went on to express that things that are "handmade" really come from the heart.  My mother handled it well at the moment, but every time we make something with a sewing machine we have to mention it and giggle.  Let me show you an example and you tell me if these things are any less "from the heart" than anything you've seen that was sewn by hand.

This is a doll I made for Sweets, by hand
and by sewing machine.
My mom made this outfit for her by machine
while she was here.
She also made these cute shoes by hand.
My mom also made this cute dress with pinafore by machine
(Sweets took this picture)
 
I have been working on the curtains for my living room.  I'm sure when my mom left she was a little worried that the fabric would just sit here until she got back.  Mom, you'll be happy to know I finished the kitchen table curtains and I'm ready to sew the rings on the door curtain.

I am having so much fun making these curtains.  It just feels like such a gift from my mom's heart.  You see, I'm making them on a machine that my mom gave me.  It is the second machine she has given me.  I had to give the other one to my sister because it was an American machine that I couldn't use in Albania.  I was really sad to leave it.  However, my mom gave me this other one. I thought I'd never learn to use it and I was sure I'd never love it like I did the other one.  However, now when I sit in front of it I love it just like I loved my old one. 

The other thing I realized is that I LOVE this green linen fabric that my mother chose.  We did a lot of shopping with a lot of kids and it was hard to concentrate.  We were on a tight budget and tired.  When my mom suggested the green linen I wasn't sure, but I figured since I hadn't made any progress in a year I should just go with it.   I LOVE IT.  It is perfect!!! I loving how it feels.  I love how it hangs and I love how it looks.  I can't wait until I can show it to all of you.  I wish you could be here and see for yourself.

Mom, I also got the butterfly rugs and put them in my room.  I'll take a picture of my bedroom tomorrow when there is good light.

P.S. Sorry I didn't write yesterday.  The internet wasn't working and Bumbles has been and still is sick.  I'm amazed I've been able to get anything done at all.

P.P.S.  Loved this book!  I'll tell you about it tomorrow.  Must go to bed!

The Dirty Life: On Farming, Food, and Love

3 comments:

  1. Can your mom be my mom? I need a nice mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That doll is sure cute. I always considered things made by sewing machine to be handmade.

    I agree with Mitzi, you've got a great mama.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little doll and remember how much Sweets loves it!

    ReplyDelete