Thursday, January 13, 2011

Comfort

First, I must report that I have not had a headache for TWO DAYS!!!  Isn't that interesting how it coincides with when my husband came home?  I guess we'll never know if my headaches were from sugar detox or from husband detox.  Whatever it was it is nice to be on the other side of it.

One of my readers/friends has decided to forgo sugar for a week.  She asked me for some tips so I thought I'd post them here for everyone's enjoyment. 

Dear Friend,

First, let me congratulate you on your desire to kick the sugar habit - for a week.  I can't tell you how much this will improve your health - especially because you are pregnant.  I'm a firm believer that sugar makes huge babies.  Let me tell you delivering a 9 lb baby is no picnic. Perhaps after a week you will want to stick with it and go non-sugaric for your entire pregnancy.

The main thing that helps me resist sugar is my HUGE desire to rid my body of this addiction.  Another major step is to rid your home of sugar.  As you know, I had a candy party the day I started this and whatever wasn't eaten was thrown in the trash.  (Don't worry we have lots of dumpster divers here - I'm sure someone ate it.)  This way if you have a craving you have to go somewhere to satisfy it and that is a lot of work.

When I do get a sugar craving I usually eat these.
Do you know what these are?  Delicious dried figs.  I don't know if you can find these where you are, but they are yummy.  If you can't find figs you could try some other non-sugaric dried fruit. I have also been eating A LOT of nuts, pistachios, cashews, ALMONDS, and walnuts.  If you get the nuts in the shell you eat less of them.  Also, using a crack-nut (Super Jack's word for a nutcracker) might help you unwind.

Super Jack trying to get a walnut out of the shell.
I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to - tea.  I have a box of herbal peppermint tea in my cupboard.  I keep thinking that I should get it out and enjoy a cup.  You could add a little lemon or honey or both.  I have also been eating a lot of popcorn that I pop myself on the stove.  I know it isn't as good for you as air popped, but I don't have an air popper.  If all else fails I usually have a glass of milk (actually I just drink it out of the bottle - sorry Dad - old habits die hard) and a piece of toast with butter and nonsugaric jam (strawberry-banana jam is different, but okay).  Toast with butter and jam is something my dad eats that I always thought was weird.  When I eat it, not only does it taste good, it helps me think of my dad which is soothing. 

I hope that helps.  Happy nonsugaricing!

Love,
Angela

As promised I took a picture of Zuppa.  I know the label says Zup, but in Albanian even nouns change depending on many grammatical factors.
It's something like pudding with walnuts and cookies in it.
My children are so happy they get to have sugar again.  Can you believe that they can be satisfied with a gumball? My mom told me never to buy things out of these machines or your kids would always beg you for more.  She was right! Why didn't I listen?  (Really it's their dad's fault).

2 comments:

  1. Toast with butter and jam is wierd? I never gave it a second thought. I'm the only one who drinks skim milk, so I can drink out of the carton all I want. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the headaches were a combo of no husband and no sugar! :) you are doing great! I love toast with butter and jam or honey. yummy

    ReplyDelete