Sunday, January 2, 2011

Popcorn

I've made it through the second day.  I thought it would be easier since I didn't have a candy party planned, but it was actually harder.  I've heard someone say that the first two weeks are difficult, but after that it gets easier. I hope they are right.

I wanted to explain why I picked non-sugaric a little better.  I was trying to think of a way to describe what kinds of food I would be eating.  I thought about how you see certain drinks that say non-alcoholic.  That was the kind of thing I was going for, but with sugar.  I didn't want to do "sugar free" because that usually means sweeteners of some kind.  I just don't want any sweetener so I picked non-sugaric foods.


Super Jack eating Popcorn


God Candy

I thought I was doing really well early in the day when I made some popcorn.  The kids and I really enjoyed ourselves.  I was thinking, "See this will be easy!"  I also ate a few mandarins.  I've been trying to get my kids excited about healthy food for a long time so I always call fruit, "God Candy".  They try to act like they think it is as good as candy, but I can tell they are just trying to please me.  These mandarins were delicious though.

Later we went to my in laws house for "dreke" (that's lunch in Albania, but it is really more like an American dinner).  I had been using my in laws bathroom scale for about a year and half.  I just returned it to them because my husband bought me a digital scale that weighs in pounds for Christmas.  I love my scale.  I returned the other one to my in laws and they both weighed themselves yesterday.  They did not like what that saw.  Usually, it is very difficult to diet in Albania because Albanians think that people should eat WAY more than is actually necessary.  If you don't fill your plate three times they think something is wrong with you.  Not to mention if you ever visit someone they will FORCE you to eat chocolate and drink soda.  They also have a very limited knowledge of nutrition. 

Fortunately for me I have been teaching my mother-in-law about nutrition for a few years now.  She is starting to get it.  She still brings bags of candy over sometimes, but it is usually fruit.  I knew I had better prep my in laws about my new no sugar rule.  I have been telling them about it for about a week.  I was glad that they weighed themselves because now they both want to go on a diet.  They seem to be excited that I'm going to try to not eat sugar for one whole year. 

When I arrived my father-in-law asked me if I had eaten sugar.  I could tell he was proud when I said I hadn't.  I also told them about my blog.  They didn't know what a blog is, but I tried to explain it to them.  I should explain that when I say "told" my in laws what I'm really saying is that I tried in my broken Albanian to get this simple idea across.  They nodded and seemed to understand, but we're never quite sure if we understand each other.

Usually I have my husband with me to help with translating.  This is how it usually plays out.  I try to speak in Albanian. My in laws act like they understand, but I don't really get the response I'm looking for.  My husband figures out what I'm trying to say and says it again in "real" Albanian.  Then his parents give the correct response.  Why do I try? you might ask.  Because if I don't I'll never learn.  I'm sure some day I'll get a sentence or two right.

As I said I didn't have my husband with me today.  Actually he hasn't been with me for 5 days and he won't be with me for another 9 days.  That's right!  My Albanian husband left me and our four children here in Albania while he went to the US and is visiting with my family.  Isn't that just wrong? Don't get me wrong.  My husband is a wonderful man, but I hate to be without him and it sure kills me that he gets to be with my family while I'm here trying to take care of these kids.  I could explain the reasons to you, but that is classified.  You'll find that there are many things that are "classified" in my family.

He also knew when he left that I was going to try to not eat sugar.  He knows better than anyone how bad my sugar addiction is.  He knows that when I try to limit my sugar that I get cranky, but he left me anyway.  He doesn't think I'll do it.  In some ways I think he said that because he knows that I'm feisty and if someone tells me I can't do something I'll have to prove them wrong.  He really wants me to stop eating sugar forever because he's afraid I'll get diabetes.  I think it is easier to worry about other people's health than your own because I'm not really worried about that although I know I should be.

The run down for today is this.  My mother-in-law had us over for "dreke". She was upset about her weight so she didn't make dessert.  We visited two of my husband's aunts who tried to shove candy down my throat.  My in laws stood up for me and explained I wasn't eating sugar.  One aunt accepted it the other gave me a lecture about how sugar is good for you.

Then when we finally got home I was missing my husband and felt like I need a reward for schlepping my kids all over Tirana with my in laws.  Then I remembered that I couldn't eat sugar.  I saw the wrappers of the candy my kids had eaten at their great aunts' houses.  I stayed strong and ate some delicious pears my mother in law gave me.  I also made a ham sandwich. 

I watched my kids eat a little candy they had left over from our candy party yesterday.  I made a pouty face and my dear daughter "Zemer" gave me a small handful of smashed goldfish crackers.  (Side note: these were the only gold fish crackers she has had in over a year.  They were sent to her by her aunt for Christmas. And she still shared them with me.  She is so sweet.) The goldfish crackers helped.

We talked to my husband on skype. Then we got in bed and read stories.  Now the kids are asleep and I'm here to report I made it another day without sugar.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Angela! How do you do it? Not the lack of sugar part but the living in Albania and adjusting to the culture. Jetmir's parents are here visiting us in Albania and we are kind of having a "clash of cultures." Any advice?

    Good luck being a nonsugaric. You can do it!

    Alexa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 10 years of practice. It can be difficult. It is hard to say what to do. I think sometimes you have to stand up for yourself and sometimes you have to do it their way. I almost always stand up for good nutrition. Other things I let slide. I also say, "We are Americans and . . . . isn't the same for Americans." For example, people get upset if i don't make my kids wear socks in the house. i just explain Americans don't do that and we survive. The look shocked, but accept it. Sometimes, things just don't work though. I have to say it is harder with my in laws than with any other Albanians.

    ReplyDelete