Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Fresh Bread and Fresh Ideas

We really wanted to take Maddie to see the beach.  When we woke up this morning we hurried to get ready to go to the beach.  (we had to hurry because Andi had to get back in time for a meeting) We decided we'd have a picnic, but we didn't have any bread for sandwiches.  Maddie and B.D. went to get some bread.

B.D. said that they had just taken the bread out of the oven and it wasn't cut.  I was a little annoyed. Then I realized that hot fresh bread is yummy.  We packed 3 different kinds of cheese and some apples.  We drove to the beach.  I was glad Maddie got to see some bunkers.  (the entire landscape is dotted with bunkers from the communist era - they were always ready for an invasion.)

We finally got to the beach and it was FREEZING!!!  We just sat in the car and ate our bread and cheese.  Maddie, B.D., Sweets and Super Jack did get out and run around for awhile. Bumbles was asleep so I stayed in the car.  We headed home and ate some more bread and cheese.   I forgot to take a picture of the beautiful bread before we ate it, but here is what it looked like by dinner time.

Sweets is wearing an earpiece, pretending
she works for the Secret Service.

We had this for dinner.


Gnocchi with Pesto Sauce
Then my MIL came over and gave my sister two chocolate bars to take with her on her flight.  When Super Jack saw that, he had a super fit about how he wanted chocolate.  He had already had two chocolaty treats at scouts.  I just had to put him in his bed.  My MIL felt bad.  My MIL also told me that she had seen a report on "Voice of America" about how video games are not good for children if they play them too much.  She was telling me because she knows I restrict my kids from TV and the like.  She was glad to see that the doctors were backing up my behavior.  Then she said this . . . . . drum roll please.

 "Angela, when you first had B.D. and Andi told me you would stay home I couldn't understand it.  People would always ask me what my son's bride does for work. I would have to explain that you didn't work and I just couldn't understand it.  But now I realize that you have made the right decision.  It is better for mothers to stay home and raise their children.  A child's upbringing is so important."

I put my hand on my heart, bowed my head and said, "Falemnderit!" (Thank you)  

It has taken 10 1/2 years, but my MIL and I are finally understanding each other.  Maybe she said it because I told her that in the book "The Flat Belly Diet" I read that wearing socks helps to relieve stress so maybe Albanians have it right.  (It is a crime to be barefoot in this country).

7 comments:

  1. How wonderful Angela!
    Have you come off Cloud 9 yet =D

    What a week of contrasts! Those moments you will remember forever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome... to both the bread and your mom-in-law. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just love Albanians! Oh my socks... all the time. I do have to say my greatest treasure from Albania is a pair of socks an investigators great grandmother made me! I don't even wear them because I want them to last.
    Also is that homemade Pesto sauce if so would you mind sharing the recipe. Also also I would love to have a 60 cent loaf of bread right now fresh out of the furre!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread is 70 cents now. The pesto sauce was a jar of pesto and a box of cream.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Is she not a member of the church? I'm glad she finally understands why you stay home. I love being home and can't see how moms can do it any other way. It would be total chaos.

    I am really enjoying reading your adventures. I hope you're doing well over there. You sound a little lonely to me. I hope you make great friends and grow to really love it there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan, My MIL has been baptized, but she is very inactive. Being a stay-at-home mom is a very foreign concept here. All women were forced to work under communism so now they just think it is the way it should be. They usually leave their babies with their grandmothers.

    I miss my family and the US sometimes, but I'm not really lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing and I am glad that you can stay home with your children, you are just what they need. <3

    ReplyDelete