Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Detox

You may wonder where I got this idea to not eat sugar for a whole year.  I'll tell you.  The idea hatched when I read "The Little House on the Prairie" series to my kids last year.  Those people hardly EVER ate sugar.  My kids' mouths dropped open when they heard about Laura's Christmases when she only received one peppermint stick in her stocking.  I can't believe how our sugar consumption has spiraled out of control.  Now I am reading "Swiss Family Robinson" and once again I'm reminded of how sugar crazed we are (although they do have sugar cane on the island).

I didn't tell you that I'm also detoxing my kids a little.  On Monday we began one week with no sugar for them.  They are having a hard time with it.  They begged me for gumballs today.  I didn't give in.  They looked at me with sad eyes for a treat.  I suggested that we go to an indoor playground as a "treat".  They were excited to go, but they did try to suggest that they also be allowed a gumball.  I stayed strong.

In some ways today was easier and harder.  Earlier today it was hard.  Then I had refried beans with cheese and hot sauce for lunch and everything changed.  I don't feel so deprived.  I also ate a lot of almonds today.

The indoor playground is right next to our grocery store.  I left the three older kids at the playground and Bumbles and I did a little shopping hoping that the produce section had recovered from New Years.  It was a little better, but still no carrots or lettuce.  There was only one lame looking hand of bananas, but I had to get them for Super Jack who was begging me for them all day.  They were so green.  I promised I'd put them right next to a pile of apples and maybe they would be ready to eat in the morning.

I also got some yummy yogurt butter (I think.  It was in Greek and let me tell you - it's totally Greek to me).  After the kids went to bed I had a little on some toast - delicious!  I didn't have my promised fresh milk party, but I did have a nice cold glass that was refreshing.
One of these things is not like the other
I just wanted you to see my fresh milk after almost a week. Even the cows go on vacation for New Years in Albania.  There are only two brands of fresh milk that I can drink in Albania.  I learned that I have to look for homogenized milk - who knew?  I also wanted you to see that I did put the bananas by the apples.  And last but not least I wanted you to see that I am not without temptation.  This is the donut mix my dear sister sent me after I was whining that I didn't get to go to my mom's fall festival.  I checked the expiration and they expire on 2 Jan 2012.  Should I make them on New Years?  I think I'll probably make them for Ground Hog Day (one of our families donut holidays) and not eat any.  But that is what this year is going to be all about.

Most of the day I was fine, but I did get a good headache at the end of the day.  I can't wait until I'm through with the detox phase.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I heard recently that most of the honey on the shelves in Albania is really just sugar made to look like honey. We don't have strict laws here about food (well maybe we do, but they are not enforced).

    When Andi returns I'll make him take me to the mountains and buy some honey for the beekeepers. Maybe Maddie would like a trip like that.

    ReplyDelete